Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Expressions for Agreeing & Disagreeing

Expressions for Agreeing and Disagreeing
Stating an opinion • In my opinion...
• The way I see it...
• If you want my honest opinion....
• According to Lisa...
• As far as I'm concerned...
• If you ask me...
Asking for an opinion • What's your idea?
• What are your thoughts on all of this?
• How do you feel about that?
• Do you have anything to say about this?
• What do you think?
• Do you agree?
• Wouldn't you say?
Expressing agreement • I agree with you 100 percent.
• I couldn't agree with you more.
• That's so true.
• That's for sure.
• (slang) Tell me about it!
• You're absolutely right.
• Absolutely.
• That's exactly how I feel.
• Exactly.
• I'm afraid I agree with James.
• I have to side with Dad on this one.
• No doubt about it.
• (agree with negative statement) Me neither.
• (weak) I suppose so./I guess so.
• You have a point there.
• I was just going to say that.
Expressing disagreement • I don't think so.
• (strong) No way.
• I'm afraid I disagree.
• (strong) I totally disagree.
• I beg to differ.
• (strong) I'd say the exact opposite.
• Not necessarily.
• That's not always true.
• That's not always the case.
• No, I'm not so sure about that.
Interruptions • Can I add something here?
• Is it okay if I jump in for a second?
• If I might add something...
• Can I throw my two cents in?
• Sorry to interrupt, but...
• (after accidentally interrupting someone) Sorry, go ahead. OR Sorry, you were saying...
• (after being interrupted) You didn't let me finish.
Settling an argument • Let's just move on, shall we?
• Let's drop it.
• I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.
• (sarcastic) Whatever you say./If you say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment